1.30.2012

Spinach Turkey Meatballs

1 lb low-fat ground turkey
10 oz. chopped spinach (if you use the frozen stuff, thaw and drain well)
1/2 C bread crumbs (I make my own whole wheat crumbs)
1 large egg
2 cloves garlic, minced (I actually use more than that... I LOVE garlic)
1/2 C parmesan cheese
spices (use what you like, I usually just use Italian seasoning)
-Mix the above ingredients together. Then shape into meatballs about the size of 1 mounded tablespoon (I mix everything up with my hands because the best way to shape the meatballs is with your hands). Put a little olive oil into a skillet and put a bunch of meatballs in. Brown and turn. Repeat until all the sides are brown and the meatball is cooked through. Repeat with the rest of the meatballs, placing on plate with paper towel on it to drain the oil. [you can bake these in the oven too, but I prefer cooking them this method]
-Once the meatballs are cooked place them back in the skillet and cover with spaghetti sauce (I usually buy it from the store, but if you're ambitious, make your own!). Simmer for 15-20 mins and serve over your favorite pasta (or I love having these over spaghetti squash*).

*Easy way to cook spaghetti squash: Cut the stem off the squash and then cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Place the two halves flesh side up on a plate. Cover completely with plastic wrap and microwave 7-10 mins (depending on size of squash and how tender you want it). Scoop out of rind and serve in place of spaghetti noodles (or other pastas) or as a side dish. I LOVE spaghetti squash!

No comments: